Does VA have authority to transfer veterans to where they “grew up”, or where their family resides?

VA has limited authority to provide travel for such requests. Such transport may be approved for travel eligible veterans if the cost to the government is less than to the originating home of record. Otherwise, only veterans receiving inpatient care at a VA facility, or non-VA facility at VA expense, in a terminal condition (estimated less than 6-months to live) can be transferred to a suitable health care facility in area other than where they lived upon entering the VA facility. In addition, such transfer can occur only from one VA facility to another, or when VA is paying for care at a non-VA facility, and future care will be at VA expense. Veterans receiving care on an outpatient basis are not eligible for such transportation.