Can VA pay for transport of an attendant, donor, or other non-veteran?

VA has the authority to pay for transportation and associated incidental costs (lodging, food, etc.) at VA expense of certain non-veterans when:

  • It is clinically determined by a VA provider that due to the veterans mental or physical condition that an attendant is required when transporting the veteran, or
  • The non-veteran is the donor or potential donor of tissue, organ, or parts to a veteran receiving VA, or VA authorized non-VA health care, or
  • In the case of an Allied Beneficiary, travel and reimbursement has been authorized by the appropriate foreign government agency, or
  • Travel and reimbursement is authorized by another Federal Agency when VA care is provided to a beneficiary of that agency.